Saturday, May 16, 2015

Day 4



Today was much like yesterday where Steve slept most of the day.  He only got up once to walk the halls.  The goal is to get up and walk 2 laps 3 times a day.  This huge cart we have to haul around is monstrous and heavy.  That leaves me in charge of pushing it around the halls.  I'm not the best driver of that thing.  Steve isn't the best walker right now, so the two of us make quite the pair walking in circles around the halls.  All I can say is if you see us coming, you better get out of the way. He claims I run him into the wall, I think he can't walk straight. It's probably a little bit of both.  Walking is suppose to help prevent blood clots and really helps you feel better.  They were a little slow to get on top of his symptoms so he had a rough ride today.  His fever spiked and his heart got to a dangerous rate so they had to pump him with more and more drugs.  Poor guy is so drugged, he's not sure which end is up.  He just woke up for 30 seconds and looked at the clock and asked, "Is it 11:00 in the morning or 11:00 at night?" He laid his head back down and started snoring again.  My brother and his wife came to visit tonight and when he walked in he asked Steve how he was doing and he lifted his head and said, "Kumbaya." Ya, that is about how he's been all day.  They are trying to get us ready to leave tomorrow so part of that is bringing us all the meds that he will go home with.  I didn't know I would be taking the whole pharmacy with me.  Two different people came to instruct me on what drugs to give him and when.  When to give the shots and when not to.  Good thing they gave me something to take notes on.  I even wrote on the bottles so I wouldn't forget some things.  Hopefully I can keep it all straight.  Steve has gained about 15 pounds since we checked in.  Hard to believe since he's not eating at all.  It's all water weight.  He is so puffy and soft. They said all that will come right off when he gets home plus some.  He likes to tell people he's going on the CHEMO diet.  Not one I recommend.  I really hope that he forgets most of his stay here or else I think I might have a real hard time getting him to come back for round 2.  Some people say that their stay here is a fog.  I think ever since they started his Chemo on Wednesday, he had been in a fog.  Hopefully that will be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment